Fruit

When I left my hometown in 1988 for the University of Georgia, I left behind people whom God had used tremendously in my life. It never occurred to me to pray for someone else in Athens who would do the same thing, but God knew best, as usual, and to my complete surprise and delight, He did just that.
Like any good Southern Baptist girl, I showed up at 9:45 for Sunday school at the most recommended church my first Sunday in town. I remember when the college teachers were introduced being drawn immediately to one particular lady. When she spoke, you sat a little straighter and felt relaxed at the same time. You could hear the authority of God in her voice and the deep love she had for her Savior. I didn’t care what year she was teaching- freshman, sophomore, junior, senior- I was going to be in her class and that is exactly what I did—all 6 years through pre-pharmacy and pharmacy school. (Quite a rebellious act for me.) Mrs. Summey was sort of a mix between my two mentors from home and I followed her around whenever I could. God blessed our relationship and I was able to spend time in their home and with her two young kids, Lance and Melissa. There I got to see first hand how her love for Christ was lived out with her husband Jeff and her children. To be there was an opportunity to see the hands and feet of Christ as she served her family and me.

Some things I remember from that Sunday school class are statements like: “Wear white and keep it clean.”, “The secret of living is bearing fruit. The secret of bearing fruit is abiding in Jesus Christ. The secret of abiding is being willing to obey Him. The secret of obeying Him is loving Him. And the secret of loving Him is knowing Him.”, “If we act, think, smell, dress, talk, eat and drink just like the rest of the world, we have nothing to offer it.”, “Two reasons to obey Him: One, so you can be a target of His blessing and two, so you can give Him the pleasure of bestowing the blessing.” There are many notes in the margins of my Bible but these are the ones I think about the most. She is also the who had me tell the whole class where I saw myself in 10 years and after I did, she asked me, “What if only one of those things happens? What if none of that happens? What will you think about God then?” Those questions prepared me well for something I never expected to encounter a few years later.

Before I got married, I asked her if my gift from her could be a letter- a letter about marriage and her advice to me as a new wife. Without having a family at this point, I had no idea what an enormous thing I had asked her to do (the sacrifice of time and energy this would take), but of course, she did it and I don’t think she left anything out. That letter is a treasure to me and I have referred to it many, many times. During our first year of marriage, I remember calling her about a situation and not being able to hold it together on the phone. She dropped everything, got in her car, drove 4 hours so she could spend the day with me. By the time she left that night, ALL was well because she counseled me with God’s counsel and loved me with His love.

Just this August she sent out an email telling her friends and family that she had breast cancer. These words were in that first email. “All of the details of life are dove-tailing together as only God can do. It is SO exciting being a part of His world. (emphasis hers) I face it with complete confidence that God goes before and after me in every step He leads us to.” Par for the course for Mrs. Summey. I wasn’t surprised by her reaction. Inspired but not surprised. This is who she is.
We have gotten a few updates including one that said her body had reacted horribly to the chemotherapy – only the 2nd dose of it. She was hospitalized for a week because of her body’s response and this is what she said about coming home. “The gray haired old woman returned to Green Valley Farm about 5 p.m yesterday - no gray hair, but older than ever. As I descended in to the farm, I had one of those brief conversations with the Almighty related to this old place. He knows that I view Green Valley Farm as the nearest I've been to heaven on this earth. So I did ask when he decides to take me home to Him, could he just give me a direct flight from here to there. There is NO place on the face of the earth I'd rather LIVE OR DIE than these acres of the southern Appalachians. Thank you for allowing me to come home this week.” (again, emphasis hers)

Today was a treat for me. Lance and Melissa, her children, came through town on the way to the airport. I got an email from their Mom this week and this is what it said, “Melissa is about to implode with the anticipation of hopefully seeing you Tuesday. She is a remarkably strong young, Christian, but still imagine how stressed her days are with my diagnosis. Please just love on her and reinforce her foundation.” Her words struck my heart unexpectedly-a mother’s wish for someone to comfort her daughter. I had been given a charge of sorts and I considered it a great privilege. Lance was bigger than Jeff, now wearing the same kind of football ring Jeff used to thump Lance on the head with when he was only chest high. Melissa—I was stunned how much she reminded me of her sweet Mother. Oh my. I enjoyed just watching her face as she talked because of all the ways it reminded me of Mrs. Summey. So here I was with these 2 amazing young people and I do mean amazing. Their hearts are set on serving the Lord in any capacity He asks, just like their parents. Melissa just returned from a year in China, teaching English and loving her students with the love of Jesus and chomping at the bit to go back as soon as she can. Lance is about to start an intern in Washington D.C. with Bread for the World with all intentions of changing communities everywhere. They spoke tenderly and lovingly of their mother and spoke maturely of the challenges of the cancer and the hard hitting chemotherapy. Their trust in the Lord flew like banners over their heads and I was so encouraged.

As I sat there I realized I was witnessing and experiencing Mrs. Summey’s fruit- the fruit of her labor of all these years raising her two kids. Her God-loving and God-fearing children were sitting around the table with Jeff and me at Starbucks. Oh, why didn’t I pay closer attention back then? THIS was her reward of not growing weary in her well doing, her harvest of not losing heart in doing good.

Mrs. Summey (I still can’t call you Melanie.), I love you and am praying for you to see many seasons come and go on Green Valley Farm. And by the way, your fruit is beautiful.

Comments

Elaine said…
Wow Krista. What an amazing blessing you've received in Mrs. Summey. Thanks for sharing what you did about her. I learned a lot and was inspired. I just hope that I'll be able to bear fruit like that as well. It must be so comforting to see her grown children love her and love the Lord.
TJ Wilson said…
What a beautiful life. No question that first Sunday school class was a Divine appointment. Mrs. Summey's fruit spreads all the way to me and our friends who sit a littler straighter yet relaxed when our friend Krista speaks.
Anonymous said…
THANK YOU! You words are beautiful and reassuring for me. I am certain that you are a "Mrs. Summey" to those around you. Even though life allows for meetings much less often than I desire, you are to me what she has been to you in many ways. Mr. Jeff, Julia, and Brighton are very blessed!
nikki said…
ms. summey,
thanks for inspiring krista- so she could inspire me.
nikki
Krista Sanders said…
Okay.......can I crawl into a blog hole somewhere??

Popular Posts