Big B, Little B, Sick B


I secretly like sick children. I don’t WISH them sick. I just kind of enjoy them when they are sick. The only problem is that you can’t take them anywhere (school!!), but nonetheless, I love the ‘glaze’ that comes over them that makes life seem to go a little slower. Julia and Brighton are RARELY sick, but along with the rest of Fort Worth, we have all had something around our house. Unfortunately, little B has had the worst of it. Poor guy. I have joked that his cough sounds like he’s been smoking all his life and he looks like he has a hangover.
I don’t freak out when the kids get sick. I am a pharmacist, right? I know how to dose OTC’s by weight with my eyes closed. Well, Friday night when B laid down, his breathing sounded like Darth Vader choking on a kazoo. This upset me a little. The only comfort I had was that Jeff didn’t seem to be concerned and Brighton could talk just fine. So fine that he told me in between his crude Star Wars sounds, which medicine tasted the best, which one tasted the worst, which one was spicy, which one he wanted in the morning (‘stwawbewwy’), thank you for the medicine, thank you for holding me, thank you for praying for me, thank you for reading me a story and with a fever of 103, “Momma, I think I will feel better in the morning.” He managed to do what he does best (talk and charm), so I decided we didn’t need to load up for the emergency room. (I did turn on the baby monitor for the first time in months and hardly slept for listening out for Darth Jr. upstairs.)
As his cold has continued, I have kept observing him trying to get a feel for how he is doing. We’ve had the normal, “What are we doing after nap, after breakfast, after school etc?” and the often heard, “Momma, Julia messed my question! She ‘unrupted’ me!” And just tonight he enjoyed his chips (and salt), quesadillas and flying paper airplanes with 3 cute little girls at Mi Cocina so I believe he is pulling out of it. (You think?) So in a couple of days, his little voice will be back to normal, he will breathe through his nose again, his naps won’t be as long, and his eyes will shine brightly. And I will be thankful ‘Big B’ is feeling better.

Comments

Popular Posts