An Altar



Six years ago today Jeff and I sat down at a picnic table at the State Fair of Texas and asked God for an answer. We were in the unusual situation of choosing between two young ladies, one of whom we would take the journey of adoption and receive their baby as our own. About a week before, we had learned both girls had chosen us and submitted their paperwork within 24 hours of each other. (evidently, unprecedented at Gladney- the 24 hour part) We began to pray maybe like we never had before. Now the choice was ours and we were desperate for God to make His will known. This wasn’t which house to buy, which job to take, which church to join—this was which child God had planned to be ours.
Before we left for the fair, we met our caseworker for breakfast. She needed our decision. She, being sympathetic to our predicament, brought pictures of the girls with their boyfriends in hopes that it might help us. (This is not done in a normal situation.) My heart did flip flops as I looked at these two young darling girls, one of whom had called me and one who had not. One was the classic Barbie doll and one had dimples and was cute as a button. One boyfriend seemed thick skinned and one looked like a good old boy. “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart,” I Samuel 16:7. I remember asking God how we could know their hearts especially if we couldn’t talk to all of them?? We asked our caseworker if we could call her by 2:00 and let her know and she said sure.
Our day at the fair is a little foggy in my brain. I can’t imagine either one of us was very good company to the other as we knew the decision was inevitable and no answer had been given. I remember wishing to meet a girl with one of their names or seeing her name on a name badge or better yet, if Big Tex would just say her name as we walked by. God can do that, but rarely does He choose that. It’s too easy and I think He misses the conversations with us.
When it was almost 2 o’clock, we sat down at a picnic table and prayed- one more conversation He wanted to have with us on this particular matter. Jeff prayed. I prayed. When we finished, we both just knew. Her name came out of our mouths almost instantaneously. We called our caseworker and she started the chain reaction that would lead us to the most amazing tangible expression of His love we had ever known in our married lives.
The rest of the day was much more fun- funnel cakes, the Ferris wheel, frozen lemonade, shows, corny dogs, cars, crafts. For us it was certainly a time to celebrate. We have visited that bench a couple of more times with our girl and this Friday we will do it again. An altar of sorts—the kind that makes you remember His goodness, His faithfulness, His desire for relationship with us and His desire to give good gifts to His children.

“You have turned my wailing into dancing; You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy that my heart may sing to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give You thanks forever.” Psalm 30:11-12
October 2007 Trip

Comments

Alyssa said…
Krista, I've been lurking on your blog for months now ever since TJ posted a link to your blog on hers. Your stories are so heart-warming. What a precious family you have!
TJ Wilson said…
K - I've never heard this story in detail, brings a tear (or two!) to my eye. What would we do without little Julia?! Love that God provides altars even at the great State Fair of Texas.
Elaine said…
That's a wonderful story. I hadn't realized Julia was adopted. I love the picture of adoption, and how it is such a beautiful picture of God and His love for us. Thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts