Birthday Cakes

We are entering the season of birthday cakes in our family. I am feeling the pressure. I know. Big deal, you say. Well, you are not me and it is enough to cause this girl some anxiety. You see, I come from a long line of amazing cake makers-by birth AND by marriage. I know. It’s sounding sillier by the sentence, but in my family you must learn how to make cakes because you could never defame the family’s name by, heaven forbid, purchasing a cake from a bakery or let alone a grocery store! It just isn't done. (I grew up in South Georgia. Does that help explain anything?) So, every family member has their own favorite pick and as sure as you get called ‘honey’ in my hometown, you get to indulge in your cake on your birthday.

My Mom always made a strawberry cake for me on my birthday. It's one of those tastes and smells you can recall any moment you think of it. The real strawberries keep the cake moist so when you put it in your mouth, you almost hate to swallow it. When Julia came along, I thought her birthday would be a GREAT excuse to experience the cake again. With Mom 1000 miles away and a husband who doesn’t do 'bake at 350 for 10 minutes', I don’t get the strawberry cake anymore so I make it for Julia. She loves it because one, it’s yummy and two, because it is the only color in her rainbow.................PINK! (My 15 year old nephew prefers this one too, but don’t tell anyone.)

My brother’s pick is a Lemon Cheese Cake. No cheese here, but a cold, tangy, melt in your mouth layered cake. You won’t find this cake in any bakery. And don’t try to order one. You will take a home a cheesecake flavored with lemon. This one happens to be my Mom’s favorite too, but sadly, I don’t ever remembering her having one unless her dear Mother,Ju Ju, came to town.

My Daddy’s is Japanese Fruit cake—not the kind that gets passed around every Christmas, but one with actual cake layers, raisins, nuts and coconut. The layers are alternated, plain and spiced, but Daddy requests all spice layers and that, of course, is what he gets. (His mother started granting that wish.) I never have developed a taste for this one, but it’s a staple in September and again at Christmas.

My Jeff is partial to caramel cake and he would choose his Mom’s caramel cake any day. It’s wonderful. (Even though she has been a city girl most of her life, she grew up in South Georgia too!) In my family, Ju Ju is the famous maker of the Caramel Cake. Julia was my grandmother and the memories of eating ANYTHING in her kitchen are worth re-living. Now, if you never had Ju Ju's Caramel Cake (and you see it's in capital letters- it deserves it) you never will have it quite like it is supposed to taste. She had the touch and those genes didn't quite make it to me! This icing has to be boiled, cooled and re-boiled and of course she NEVER timed it. She said she did, but we think her clock was in another time zone. Without SPECIFIC instructions, my brain is like a machine with bolts and springs coming loose and popping out everywhere. My Mom does an unbelievable attempt. Almost the exact replica- so much so she makes 2 every summer to take to the beach and we (I?) hide pieces to make sure we (I) get our (my) share! (Back off, Bill.) Since Jeff’s Mom has the dibs on her son’s birthday cake (and I could never duplicate hers), I make him a cake with chocolate icing between the layers and caramel icing on the outside with chocolate drizzle. I have tried to woo him with chocolate and presentation.

Okay, last one. Brighton loves caramel cake (not capitalized). So basically, his cake is an attempt at the impossible but one we love to try to emulate as we remember our sweet Ju Ju. And besides it tastes like no other cake. As Charlie's small and funny little sister Lola would say, it’s very completely the wonderfullest and most extrememly delicious cake ever! (Her favorite and her best!)

The problem is I am now the one making these cakes for my family and therein the pressure lies. Next week is the week I ‘attempt the impossible’. THE caramel cake. The one with the icing that is always guess work (bolts and springs). Boiling, cooling, and re-boiling. I have another problem. My Mom isn’t coming. First birthday she has missed. She is having knee surgery. I told her that her excuse was lame. Somehow the last 3 years in all the hustle and bustle of her helping me to prepare for and execute B’s party, a caramel cake has appeared on my counter. Voila! There it would be. She can whip one out like Rachel Ray whips out a meal. Uttering a prayer of gratefulness to God under my breath, I would thank her and move on to balloons or brownies.
So, there will be no magic this year. No amazing cake makers in my kitchen or cakes appearing on the counter. Just me. The torch has officially been passed. My hand has been forced. I will get it done. I must. It may be lop-sided and the icing may fall off of the sides, but I will make a good Ju Ju effort and my son will have a ‘birfday’ cake.

Yes, I just wrote a blog entry on birthday cakes. I can’t believe it either.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay, first of all, I've been lurking on your blog, not commenting because I wasn't sure you'd know who I am, and you know, blogs feel sort of like you're reading someone's diary. But our mutual friend (of the noisy lifting kind) said you'd love for me to comment, so here I am.

All I could think about while reading your post this evening is that 1) I wish I was coming to the birthday party because the cake pictures you posted look ah-mazing. and 2) I'm hoping all those recipes aren't family secrets because I'm dying for you to share one! I'd settle for a piece of cake sometime, though.

:) Hope you have a wonderful day. And if you need to, just ask TJ who I am.
Krista Sanders said…
Oh, I know who you are. You have, I want to say, worked magic, but I guess more appropriately I should say you have worked miracles for Tarrant NET! You are the get it done machine! Amazing. Thanks for reading.... very humbling.
Elaine said…
I made a caramel cake once from the recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. I bet your Ju Ju would NOT be impressed! It was rather yummy though. For Margaret's birthday, she wanted a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and SPRINKLES. I gave the girl what she wanted, but it was not something anyone would think for a second had come from a bakery, or even from the hand of a gifted cake maker (like your family is). She loved it though and that's what counts. I put on lots and LOTS of sprinkles. :-) Happy Birthday Brighton!
TJ Wilson said…
Ok, when in the world did you have time to write this?? One of my favs on your blog. What a sweet tradition. Hearing you say you feel inadequate to bake a cake - ANY cake - is like
hearing Alan Greenspan say he can't balance his checkbook.
I'm not worried - esp for B next week - I've seen you work magic on overcooked and/or fermented cheesecakes. Ha!
Loved this post.
TJ Wilson said…
Also - Spag -glad to see you've come into the light. :)
Joyce said…
I"m sure your cake will be every bit as wonderful as you say mine is. Sorry I can't be there to try yours - hopefully, next year. Joyce
Joyce said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joyce said…
You think you started the hiding of cake but no, it was your daddy. You never got any Japanese Fruit Cake because if there was ever any around the house, HE HID IT and he still does. He'll put it in the back of the refrigerator and put everything he can find in front of it. See, you learned a trick from a master. Mom
nikki said…
looking forward to birf-day cake soon!! i'd never had a carmel cake or strawberry cake until i met you...and yours are the best ever!
meh said…
Krista, hello from up in Michigan. (You will probably have to visit BidingMyTime to figure out who I am.) Like spaghettipie, I also hesitate to comment on other people's blogs to whom I am loosely connected, but I just had to this time. I truly enjoyed reading this!

Popular Posts