Four

Brighton was born in Austin during football season so we have thrown a UT football tailgating party since shindig #1. Growing up in SEC country, I have had to learn the difference between an Aggie and a Longhorn. Then there are Red Raiders and another one I always forget. I have accumulated some things of this strange orange color adorned with the longhorn silhouette and actually like it because it matches the pumpkins I always have outside this time of year. ; ) Some die hard fans let me borrow some really neat stuff too.

When I awakened Brighton on the morning of his birthday which was Wednesday, I told him he was four years old. He sat up straight and said shaking his blonde bed head, “You mean, I am not ‘tree’ anymore?” I assured him he was four and he proceeded to get dressed by himself “because I am four now.”

I began making his cake yesterday- the caramel cake- and it almost did me in. 5:00- first batch of icing burned. Called Mom and she adjusted the boiling time. 5:45- second batch didn’t burn but was cement after cooling and I was supposed to add 10X sugar! Called Mom and she said add water to break it up. 8:30- added 10 X sugar. Something was terribly wrong. It looked like Play Dough just before drying out. Called Mom- more water. 8:45- began to ice cake and was about a fourth of a cake short. Took a break. 10:30- 1st half batch- burned again! 10:40 2nd half batch- fine, just a different color than the 2nd full batch. Oh well.

Five of the roughest and toughest little boys in Fort Worth along with Moms and sisters helped us celebrate Brighton’s fourth birthday today. Nothing makes Brighton happier than to have friends over. Actually, you don’t even have to be his friend. The UPS man will get quite the same response. He LOVES company. As we were waiting on all his friends, he was trying to "help" me in anyway possible to get the ball rolling. He disappeared for a while and reappeared in the kitchen carrying underwear, pants, socks and shoes. (At this age it ALL has to come off to take care of certain situations.) He said, “Can you help me put all 'dis tuff' on? I’ll still be four, right Momma? But will you help me and I will still be four?”

I thought the party went great. Boys are really easy. We had them throw a little football between the “goal posts” in order to win a prize. Here were the prizes. (Thanks, Miss Sue!)

After the “team picture”, they just started running in single file line all over the yard.

About half way through the party as I was in the kitchen taking “Dino Nuggets” out of the oven, he stuck his head in the back door and with a grin only he can give said, “Thanks for my party, Mom!!” That was all I needed. I checked later with Jeff to see if this had come from the “Daddy-prompter”. Negative. Brighton delighted in everything about his party and I so enjoyed watching him. He took great pride in serving his friends his “birfday” cake. He loved all his toys and gave sweet hugs to the moms. The way he whacked the piñata would have made any Momma proud. So good bye, my little “tree” year old and I look forward to every day of your being four.




Comments

nikki said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
nikki said…
we loved the party!! thank you so much! beckett hasn't had anything personalized since a burp cloth- so that shirt is extra special! btw, the cake was de-lish...a true labor of love!
n.
Anonymous said…
Looks like a fun day (happy belated birthday to the birthday boy). I'm amazed you kept on with the frosting! I think I would've given up after the first attempt!
TJ Wilson said…
KDS - Impossible not to smile when I think of Brighton. Love that his party was such a success, he is just beautiful.
Anonymous said…
good looking swing at pinata-need to turn him around and let him swith hit

Popular Posts