A Rainy First


Covered (sort of) under a lady bug umbrella, Julia and I took Brighton to his first day of Tree Frog school. He was sporting his Yankees jersey (with the all important number 2 on the back) and his pinstripe shorts. With a big smile and open arms, Mrs. Windsor greeted us as we pushed through the double doors trying to stay dry. Julia made sure Brighton knew where to hang his bag which contained a paint shirt (washable paints do NOT wash out), an extra outfit for an almost 4 year old’s worst nightmare and his Velcro Spiderman wallet. The room looked like an African village just waiting for the natives to bring it life. Twelve, all under 4 feet tall, arrived quickly. Brighton sort of waved goodbye, completely distracted as he took in the room.

When we got home I gave Julia her Kindergarten 3 ring binder, decorated with all the things that make her tick right now. It will keep all the work she completes this year. All morning she was giddy with excitement about starting school which, in turn, made my confidence soar. What a gift to me! I got a call from Jeff who has cheered me on all summer (not to mention worked on the room all summer) and a hot custom-ordered Starbucks at my front door with a sweet note from TJ. (Who does that?) I think the morning went well. It flew by! She wanted NO PART of sitting on the floor with me. She wanted to sit at the desk! I gave her the choice of improving her manuscript letters or learning cursive. You guess what she picked!

I can’t believe my 8 pound baby girl that I met in Louisiana and brought “across the border” as fast as I could is ready for school! I remember her turning pages of board books with her fist at 4 months old wondering what kind of student she would be. She talked in paragraphs plain as day way before she turned 2. By NO means is she of the genius type but she is an active enthusiastic learner. I never dreamed God would entrust to me, for a time, her education. Of course, I want her education to be excellent and for it to be strong where mine was weak, but oh how I want it to go far beyond words and numbers. I have high hopes for these pockets of time with her to lay a strong foundation to prepare us for the “whatever” that is ahead of us. I pray God would set off sirens all around me if my focus ever becomes purely academic. Julia deserves ever so much more.

Comments

nikki said…
love this picture! it gives me a peek into what your days look like now! looking forward to reading your life.
n.
Anonymous said…
What a sweet first day you and Julia had... I love it!
Elaine said…
Hi Krista. I love your blog! What a wonderful first day post. You will do great as a teacher!
TJ Wilson said…
Just missed the whipped cream... sounds like your morning was sweet enough without it.

Popular Posts