Summer Pause {Three Weeks and One Day}

A beach post would be nice this morning, but it just ain’t happening.  {It’s refreshing to know that spellcheck doesn’t recognize “ain’t”.  Some things are really just still wrong.}  I’m in a bit of denial that beach week is over.  Looking at the empty lot of dirt {not sand} next to my house and the fact that I am responsible for dinner every night is bringing me back quickly.



Julia and I were at a Noonday Collection party last night and the host, Jessica, my sweet friend, handed her phone to me and said, “It’s Jeff.  He’s had an accident on his bike.”  So in like a millisecond as I take the phone, adrenaline runs through me, touching the tips of my fingers and toes, I hear his voice and he’s fine but it always shakes me up when someone I love is hurt or had the potential of really getting hurt.  He had cut his hand and needed insurance information so of course, I grabbed Julia and we left.  Emily had taken him to a clinic which wasn’t working out for us, so Julia went home with Em and we made our way to the ER, a true adventure for a Thursday night.  Sidenote: {like this whole post is not a “sidenote”} So after Em’s long day at work, she turned into somewhat of a sitter/parent as she hosted a BOY sleepover.  I emphasize BOY because it’s in a whole OTHER category than GIRL sleepover.  I won’t go into detail but just trust me. We owe Em one.  My favorite text from her was, “Things are a little less structured when you’re not here.”  Glad I am good for something.  Jeff and I chatted while we waited, gave up on our plan of going to the lake on Saturday, and watched the clock hoping to get home in time to have coffee and watch the season finale of Person of Interest. {Nothing live-- just from the library.  Do you know how much I LOVE the library?}  We wanted some normalcy in our night!  Neither one of us are too keen on needles even though I use them on people every Wednesday night at work.  Immunizing has done nothing to help me get over the heebie-jeebies I associate with them.  I watched Dr. Corwin draw up the lidocaine-- and it took him forEVER-- and I realized he was going to put ALL of that into Jeff’s hand.  Jeff knew it too and I sat there like a chicken and couldn’t watch.  I kept my eye on Jeff, the wall, the clock and at times threw darts at Dr. Corwin with my eyes willing him to  STOP already.  People, it took a good 5 minutes and the needle was CROOKED he dug into the wound so much.  Okay, enough of that.  After 10 stitches and 10 different people, we were ready to go.  We came home to a very active home for 10:30 on a Thursday night.    We ate the kids' cold pizza, told everyone the horrors of the lidocaine and made everyone wiggle and scrunch up their faces.  Then we sent them all to bed, made coffee and watched our show.  Yes, we did.

Three weeks and 1 day left of summer and I’d prefer not to do the ER again.

WHERE IS IT GOING?  IS THERE A STOP BUTTON ON SUMMER?  A pause?  Or at least a “slow down” button?   I am finding it very helpful to review with myself and with the kids all that has happened and all the side splitting fun we’ve had. {“Side splitting” might be a stretching it a bit.}  They are like, “Oh yeah.... I remember that,”  ...like it was 2 years ago and not just 2 WEEKS.

I feel like the kids are at the ages where things start changing FAST.  I remember watching my niece and nephew go from darling middle school kid to, oh my gosh, LOOK at them, they are little adults.  We’re not there-- not so drastic yet-- but it’s coming.  My mental list includes wrapping up the Passport2Purity with Julia before next week’s end--{No, I didn’t do it like they recommended-- over a weekend.}- with a few added conversations that have been brought to my attention over this last month of summer.  I want to be on the offense on so many things-- talk about them BEFORE they happen or before I notice something could be a weakness-- Lord, help me.  It’s a complete change of mind set, a totally different set of conversations-- from little girl things to full out teenage things.  These things will take some time to process and I hope to write about them at some point, and at the same time, to be sensitive to her in what I share.

We get a lot of this.  Digital cameras are a blessing.
As I am typing, I am receiving texts from her asking me if I like “these boots”.  Well, absolutely NOT for me.  They’re awful but there is nothing really WRONG with them.  I would just never wear them.  But then I have to think about a few of my outfits in 7th grade and on.  Ugh.  Of course my mother would not have worn orange and white striped pencil pants with a spray painted t-shirt. {Esprit, my 40 plus friends.}  Like, gag.  The boots she wants are a really good deal.  And I can’t expect her to think about fashion at 12 like I do at 43--longevity, versatility, comfort-- which these boots will last about 3 months, worn with maybe 2 outfits at best and comfort?  Joke.  {You young sweet mommas- enjoy dressing your little jabbers while you can.  It’s really fun.}

Just yesterday as we walked behind Brighton into a meeting, Julia asked me, when will Brighton start to care if he matches?  It comes and goes with him.  It’s important about 5% of the time.  I am more concerned about personal hygiene at this stage of the game.  I don’t really care if he has on 2 different shades of red as long as he smells good and the strands of his hair separate.  Of course, we encourage him and sometimes MAKE him practice these things, but I look forward to the day, we don’t have to ask him and that day I hear him walk over to Julia’s room and ask, “Does this look okay?” just like my brother did.... a few times.

We are whittling away at the kid’s summer lists-- have a few more spend the nights to plan, more Sonic stops to make and a little more reading to do.  Three weeks and one day left.  Pause, please?



Comments

Alyssa said…
I read this last weekend and still can't get over the crooked needle - scary!! Hope everyone is on the mend!

Popular Posts