The Week Before Christmas (and a wassail recipe}

Our days are spent so differently these weeks or days before Christmas. We make time for things we don’t even consider the other 11 months of the year.  I spent most of the morning wrapping presents, shopping on Amazon {a few things I couldn’t find in stores} and unpacking books from the “Move List".  I enjoyed the book part the most.  So glad to have all our books back out after being packed up for more than a year.  Since I started filling the shelves, the kids have had books in their beds every night.  I can smell them when I walk up the stairs.  Yes, I said smell.  : )  And that makes me very happy.



Julia made these trees-- just pinned circles to styrofoam trees with pearl pins.  I think they turned out great.  We ran out of pins  so we didn’t finish the third smallest tree.  Yet.  Why does a quick run to Hobby Lobby seem like climbing Mount Everest right now?



Jeff and I took our annual shopping trip this past weekend. {Thanks, Remey and Kollin-- 6 years strong!  You guys are too good to be true.}  I love this tradition because it allows us to shorten the time span we focus on gifts-- and our kids have a BLAST. We started each morning with coffee and time to check our lists.   Then we got after it.  We got to see Gravity before it left the theatre.  Crazy scenario, but glad I saw it.  Here was the highlight of my movie going experience-- NOT Mr. Clooney.


Starbucks AT the theatre- been wishing for this for, like, 10 years.  Way to go, Cinemark.  It was yummy AND hot.  However, Gravity is not the kind of movie you can sit back and really savor the coffee.  I think I may have guzzled it because of the nervous energy.  It would have suited The Book Thief better or something like that.


For all of you bakers-- loved this idea.  A new friend of mine blessed me with these Sunday night.  Just wanted you to see.  And I can’t go without saying-- she has a 6 week old….. Yeah.

Well, it’s basketball season so we are trying that out too.  It’s all about the teamwork and the friendships in my opinion, but it sure is fun.




Gingerbread house and train….. added the train this year and that took a little more effort-- or maybe forethought.  They need to lighten up a bit, don’t you think?  It’s supposed to be fun, right?
Em hung in there for a while-- despite Jeff antagonizing her.

We park on the shady side of our house so we dealt with ice an entire week later.  Here is Julia trying to make it to the side door.  She finally cut out a path with a shovel on Sunday.



And since this post has NO point whatsoever, I am including one of my favorite recipes and tastes for this time of year- to redeem the waste of your time, possibly?  I named it Wisconsin Wassail after my sweet neighbors’ home state our first few years of marriage.  It makes your whole house smell wonderful when you make it.

Wisconsin Wassail

1/2 gallon apple cider 6oz can frozen orange juice
2 T lemon juice 1/2 c brown sugar
1 T whole cloves 1 T whole allspice
1-2 cinnamon sticks

Secure cloves, cinnamon sticks and allspice in spice bag or cheese cloth.  Mix together and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20 minutes.

Don’t dare throw the spices away once the wassail has brewed.  Put them in a small pot of water along with some orange peel and simmer on the stove top.  You will love it.  Promise.

And to sign off with a car load of smiling kids…...  They only have ONE more day of finals.  Happy.  But not happier than me.



Merry Christmas!

Comments

Alyssa said…
How did you work this in with everything else you did yesterday?! Loved hearing that Big B got a basket the other night; way to go!

Popular Posts