His Own Cone


You know how there are just some people that enter your life in seemingly random ways and their impact on you is far from random? Intentional acts of love, calculated words of encouragement, works of service that go far beyond “babysitting”. This is “Jona-anna”, as Brighton calls her. I don’t even remember who gave me her phone number, but call her I did, and am I ever thankful! Joanna was my “Wednesday girl” for 2 years meaning she would keep Julia and Brighton when I would put on my ugly shoes, support hose and dowdy white pharmacy coat. She would PLAY with them, I mean, really PLAY with them, bathe them, get their dinner ready and like I said, do other things few babysitters do every Wednesday before Jeff came home. Because of the myriad of things she would accomplish during her 4 hour stay, I dubbed her “Joanna the Jet” but I really think she is nuclear powered. To ice this darling cake, she was purposeful in how she dealt with the children’s conflicts and acts of disobedience. She would find out how we handled things and then re-enforce our way. In the process, her education and character taught me a few things too. To say my kids love her would be like saying Pooh kind of likes honey....... a horrific understatement. When she got her counseling job late last fall, we lost her on Wednesdays. A sad day in the Sanders' house. I can’t tell you how many times Brighton has asked, “Momma, is Jona-anna finished with her job yet?” Obviously, he thinks it is temporary. She is now married to Nathan and they are expecting the first Baby Estep in September!

Of course, we still get to see her every now and then and today was one of those days. But today was extra special because her sister, Tanya, and 4 month old Noah came for a visit. Not to show off Noah, though he had his rightful moment, but to drop off a very interesting something that was all Tanya’s idea. Now, we’ve met Tanya ONCE. I have heard about her and have admired their sister relationship through Joanna’s stories. Tanya read the story about Brighton and his affection for orange cones. Since she and her husband were coming to visit Nathan and Joanna, she went to her local hardware store near Houston, bought one, and brought it to our house today! Who does that?? Joanna’s sister, a (once) DeHoyas girl. I was delighted but not surprised to find this thoughtful sweetness and a pinch of mischievous fun in Tanya because I have seen it so many times in her sister.
Needless to say, Tanya made his day.
A prized possession from a new friend
Silly String- mischievous fun, compliments of Jona-anna
This orange cone was plenty clean so I said "yes"!

Comments

Alyssa said…
I like the way that girl thinks! And I bet Brighton does as well!
Anonymous said…
Bed still looks crooked to me.bsd
TJ Wilson said…
1 - unbelivable.
2 - She spells her name the right way!
3 - really, an orange cone?!
4 - what a sweet afternoon with sweet sisters. Thrilled Joanna gets to share mommy-hood with her sister!
5 - I will laugh all night at Blake's comment!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for honoring “Jona-anna.” You all bless her so much. I'm not sure who got the better deal - your family, Joanna or myself. It is always a pure joy hearing her fun stories of your precious children!
Krista Sanders said…
bits- Me too- more than you know
BLAKE-- Whatever
T--at least I HOPE she spells her name the "right" way. And as for your laughing- try living with that smart mouth 16 years.
Jona-anna's sister--Hands down--US
Wish you were closer by- would love to hang out and watch little Noah grow
Kathie said…
What precious friends you have in these sisters! Julia and Brighton are blessed to be cared for by them! It makes me want to be a kid again and have some cool babysitters !
Kath

Popular Posts