Pericope No. 18 Winter to Summer 2017

It’s happening again.  These picture recaps just don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.  I’ve told you before--it’s the kids’ favorite kind of post-- all pictures, no talk.  SOME talk but not my usual overload.  By this time, we had one semester of public school under our belts.  The kids seemed to have “leveled out” a bit.  Not that it was smooth sailing or anything quasi normal but in a groove of sorts.  January brought our 2 days of winter- as you can see one of them below-  and the kids had never had breakfast at Paris Coffee Shop.  It opened in 1926 and there is nothing French about it except there is French toast on the menu.  Just a FW icon.  January is also time for the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.  We don’t make it every year but almost.  BOTH of my kids own “rodeo wear” as any good Texan should, but this was the first year they chose not to don it.  Teenagers. Eye roll.  It’s also the month of Lake Weekend.  There are all sorts of “Lake Weekends” about but this one is a few good friends, favorite things, all day pj’s, yummy food and just a bunch of fun.  By God’s grace, I’ve got good women around me.  We also headed to Houston for a conference Jeff wanted to attend-- me too!  Made a family trip out of it and visited the Space Center.  It just so happened that we saw Hidden Figures our first night in Houston so touring the Space Center and the Training Facility took on new meaning for us.  The crazy thing that happened was that while we were sitting IN Houston Mission Control, our guide got word that Gene Cernan had just died and announced it to us-- with tears.  Gene Cernan was the last man living who had walked on the moon.  Our trip coincided with Em’s first MARATHON.  We got to meet up with her friends and family and watch her FINISH.  Like a boss.  Oh-- forgive me, Houston friends, but we weren’t impressed with H-town.  I am SURE we weren’t in the right areas so besides the Space Center, Arandas Bakery was the second highlight of our trip.  We walked into a grocery like place bursting with color and just had to observe to get our bearings so we figured out one needed a metal tray-- about the size of a pizza pan and tongs.  And then you loaded up.  And we LOADED UP.  So many things we wanted to try.  I was a little nervous about our bill but our MOUNDFUL was under six bucks.  B’s eyes went wide and we all just smiled.  

They look cold, right?










Of course the END of January brings Julia’s BIRTHDAY!!  Fifteen.  FIFTEEN!!  Which means NEXT year she will be SIXTEEN!!!  My how these parties have changed-- and you, sweet readers, have seen most of her parties!!  She invited a mix of old friends and new-- old school, new school, and childhood friends.  I think they mixed well and I certainly enjoyed hearing all of their words and giggles.  She got her yellow roses from Uncle Blake.  {Blake, my sweet brother, you are an AWESOME uncle.  I love you more for it.}  She wanted to try a ramen restaurant for her birthday and quickly realized she liked the 15 cent ramen better.  She was a sport to try something new though.  {We all were!!}  Her canvas with a quote was her surprise and I hope to write more on that later.








February brings Jeff’s birthday and the Conners agreed to drive the hour or so to Bluff Dale, TX to eat at this reservation only hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere-- um, excuse me, Bluff Dale-- restaurant.  These places amuse and delight me all at the same time.  It was totally worth the drive.  Maybe not if it hadn’t been the Conners....
Laundromat, schmodromat.  It was a bargain or an agreement and B didn’t hold up his end.  So to the laundromat on Vickery he went every Saturday for a month.  And to be honest-- if you are wondering-- it didn’t change anything.  Just thought you might want to know.  The best thing about it?  He had great stories to tell during our Sabbath meal on Saturday night.
D-Now with Watermark is always a highlight of their winter.  I’m so grateful for their leaders and the way they love our kids.
Julia was asked to be part of lecture demonstrations this year at her studio.  They travel to a few schools in the FWISD and demonstrate their skills for the students.  It’s a GREAT idea and the kids actually sit and watch intently.  This surprised me.  I think “live” things are fascinating to them.
I got to spend 24 hours with Julia’s friends at Therefore at Pantego Bible Church.  T{4}-- to say it cool.  It was a well done event with great Truth spoken.  
And yes, that book-- it’s deserves “EVENT” status.  Seriously.  Event in my life and heart.  I am still reviewing and taking notes asking the Lord to make it real and live in my every day.  A must read for any parent.  
Our sweet guys under this roof celebrate Valentines well.  Jeff is the master, I tell you.  I did work that night and when I got off my car wasn’t where I’d left it and HE was there in it waiting to pick me up.  He took me to a gorgeous wedding venue that our friends own and cooked me an amazing meal and we went over his list of 25 great moments- our moments- 25 years ago he asked me to marry him on Valentines.  He went to a lot of trouble to make this sweet for me.  Most of the time, I am too overwhelmed to respond appropriately.  It was a very wonderful night.
And the end of February means BASEBALL STARTS!!  This picture TJ sent to me was a sweet reminder of how our lives overlapped a little more this year.  She was at the tournament and Julia was walking back to class from lunch. 















March is awesome because it brings Spring Break and, in my opinion, it’s all downhill after that.  Don’t tell my kids I said that though.  It kind of ruins my end of school year mantra of “FINISH STRONG!”  These two teachers below started Porches at Paschal at 7 am on Friday mornings.  They invite the kids to come to their classroom and watch the talk from Watermark’s Porches ministry-- while serving up coffee and doughnuts!  It’s awesome and THEY are amazing.  Mr. Wilkey is not in this picture but he’s rounds out this trio and I couldn’t be MORE THANKFUL for them.  
I think the craziest thing that happened in March is that Julia said she wanted to try out for cheer.  Maybe I need to write about this whole thing ---- so this started a series of tumbling/cheer lessons added to 4 days a week at the ballet studio plus REHEARSAL SEASON-- getting ready for Alice in Wonderland and Ballet Americana.  I don’t care to repeat this ever.  Not at the same time.  And guess what people?! She made it!!  She started 10 years too late, but she made it!  She found a used uniform at the first official meeting and couldn’t have been happier in it.  She looks adorable in it.  A WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR THIS MOMMA.
Flowers-- the kindness of my husband all of these years.  I don’t deserve any of it-- it’s all grace.  His choice to love me-- with all my irritating things-- is his greatest gift to me.
Tarrant NET has made my life so much richer.  I’ve gotten to experience things I never would have before.  I love the churches of Fort Worth and this one pictured blew me away with their genuine hospitality.  I was BLESSED to worship and pray with these people. 
Friends-- His grace abounds to me and my family.  Relationships are what makes this life worth living and I love these people with all my heart.  Julia’s new friend, Collette-- I’ve got no words to express what she has meant to this momma this spring.  I see good things in our future because of her.    
Icky, dirty socks on the KITCHEN counter-- like where we eat and serve food and stuff.  Just keeping it very real here.
The Master’s Program kicked off this spring-- more on that later but Jeff rocks it every time.  Any man would be crazy not to want to be a part of this group and learn from what Jeff is learning himself.  Time and money WELL SPENT.  Fo sho.








April!!!   
Canwick-- maybe more on that later.  We are grateful Libby Manning nominated Julia.  We aren’t exactly sure what we are doing but it seems fun.  
Turner Classic Movies Film Festival-- Denise and Margaret invited me-- HOW COULD I SAY NO?!??!?!!!  It was the perfect weekend to be out of pocket and I just had the best time.  I had no idea about anything so I was wowed the whole weekend.  I could have gone to a cabin the middle of nowhere with these two and been happy as a clam but the city-- even with the weirdos, the theaters, the movies, and laughing with these two-- it was AWESOME.  Thank you so very much.
High school brings invitations and outings that we know little about the people hosting and attending so you have to make a decision and go with it.  This was a quinceanera-- once I knew this group was going and that we needed to give a ride to two of my favorite young men in her class, I was good.
Easter- I love how the kids still do this with the baskets.  We continue the Easter garden and the lighting of it and the tomb closing on Good Friday. It is always a favorite holiday with this crowd. I am so grateful for a place to celebrate His grace-- and with these special people.  I love this day and these people.  So much.  
Revive Texas started Easter night-- it truly needs a post of its own.  Nicho-- new brother in Christ.  The greatest privilege, I tell you.  The greatest.


Trying to figure out what to wear to Canwick?!?  Just mark it down-- I should have gone out and let her buy something new.  I had no idea it would be the latest spring fashions on display before the weather was ready!!  Momma got it wrong this time.
SKIN FICTION!!  Automatic filters.  Nice. 
More wonderful fiction.
B celebrating her making cheer.  Loved these pictures.
Trying on the uniform. : )








I just wish I had taken a picture of the bathroom counter.  Thousands of dollars of product and primping tools.  
These two-- first picture was in car seats when Julia was 2 days old.  They don’t have a choice but to be friends.  Two introverts {SOCIAL introverts} so there isn’t a chance for much else except a great friendship and that’s what I am counting on.  {Hud- HOW can you watch over her from SCS?!?!?}


















Oh, y’all May-- almost done.  Lives are full, right? Sometimes the things that make us think are going to burst from the crazy are the biggest blessings.  Revive TX continued, cheer practice, ballet class AND rehearsals, piano, school work, company-- and helping Kelly celebrate the teachers at ML Phillips elementary.  Company was my favorite this spring-- my parents coming being the highlight.  They saw Julia’s ballet AND were here for Mother’s Day-- a privilege to have my mom here for sure.  We had a good time-- pedicures, massages, and a yummy lunch at Grace.
My favorite Sunday of the year at Watermark-- Baptism Sunday.  
Piano recital-- bittersweet. More on that later.
Jeff had the privilege of marrying Zachary and Skye. Zach grew up down the street from us and attended our house church.  We remember the day Ceil and Mike brought him home as we all awaited his return from Mexico as an adoption addition to their family.  We have a lot of history with this sweet family and were honored to be asked to be a part of this special day.






















I just have to post it.  It’s so typical of me.  I am doing this right before this next picture.  



And that’s a wrap.  That took forever.  Kids-- I hope you appreciate this toil and sweat one day!!  I love making memories with the three of you.  We don’t take pictures of the bad days-- the ones where we argue and say things we regret.  But we have them, right?  All of it is part of what makes this life we are learning to live together.  God’s grace is sufficient for ALL of our sin, right?  Praise be to Him.  Let’s keep doing this thing TOGETHER.  

Comments

Popular Posts