"The Lake" ..... Then and Now











We are at the lake- Eagle Mountain Lake. The kids call this a mini vacation and to them, it might as well be Disney World. Since we only started coming this past spring, it is a very new adventure for our family. Jeff bought his brother’s old boat which, for him, was a dream come true to have his very own boat. He reminded me of a 16 year old with his first new car— washing, tinkering, buffing, installing etc. Even though I teased him plenty, I thoroughly enjoyed watching him (since I didn’t know him when he was 16).

As I watch the sheer delight this short 30 minute trip brings to Julia and Brighton, it reminds me so much of my own childhood. Our family spent weeks at a time in a little 800 square foot (and that’s debatable) cabin. If that wasn’t tight enough for a family of four we almost always invited the Bowers to squeeze in with us. The week just wouldn’t have been the same. My experience at the lake these days is much different now that I am a parent, but the memories are not so much different than the ones made on Lake Sinclair.

Then………….
Rooms divided by army blankets, indoor/outdoor carpet, the old Larson, the leaning boathouse, picnic tables, painted trees, tender feet on rock pathways, a screen door nipping at my heels, Mrs. Bowers’ and Mom’s homemade snacks, Daddys making breakfast, smokestacks, Blake’s water related near death experiences (I still wince at flashbacks….), the outhouse, not ever being quite brave enough to jump off the boathouse, parents playing bridge all day and all night, wobbly docks, teasing Mr. Bowers about his snoring, sunburn (who ever put on sunscreen ‘then’?), Mark always being up for a movie in town, learning to slalom, sulfur water, quadruple layered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at the deli (and the cute little toothpicks on top), skiing all day, hand signals, me being the only girl (Paula, you didn’t come NEAR enough for my liking!), pre-breakfast ski runs, ravenous snacking, best friends earning Merit badges, an amazing diving board, Moms with no make-up and Dads with scruffy faces, the boys ALWAYS trying to get the old black and white TV to work, waking up to the smell sausage and bacon, Brian’s perpetually sunburned nose, churning dirt, sun kissed lake water at dusk, a rope swing, fans constantly whirring, the clothesline, a pistol-packing momma who happened to be a neighbor, learning to play Spades, fearing what lurked beneath the water, a tin boat with a hole (and a bucket!), Blake’s bullying me, Brian loving to ignite fireworks, Mark always being the patient one to untie the knots in the ski rope, middle of the night visits to the outhouse praying that you wouldn't step on, run into or, heaven forbid, sit on some deadly pestilence, merciless teasing, hitting mud at 30 mph, swimsuit clad kids bathing on the dock, dreading the walk ‘up the hill’ with post-skiing noodle legs, being awakened by the early morning catch, and the word ‘bored’ never crossing our minds.


Now……………..
A one room cabin, bunk beds, hot chocolate, boat trailers, Superman throws off the back of the boat, pink cheeks (even with the sunscreen), breakfast outside, squeals on tube rides, camp fires, giddy children, shooting stars, big swings and books, picnic tables, James Taylor tunes, “Miss” Joan, miniature life vests, s’mores, lake beaches with fossils, echoes, Monarch butterflies and milkweed, microwave dinners, early morning snuggles, a slamming screen door, boat-dried hair, rainbows and a heart shaped puddle, an outhouse, grilled cheeses from Sonic, an intertube nick-named Big Bertha, a movie screen, Chex mix, lumpy mattresses, nature hikes by hand-drawn maps, adventurous friends, no bed time, Jiffy Pop popcorn, new insects, same sun kissed water at dusk, foxes, deer, and hawks, and kids so tired they can’t even speak.

I realize this writing will mean something to about, oh, maybe 9 people? But these memories are good and they are strong. How much I would have missed out on….. how much I accomplished because of 3 patient boys cheering me on..... how much richer those times made my life. I want times like this for Julia and Brighton and look forward to the day we may find our “lake family” with whom to make some of these memories. I want these pockets of time to be a treasure to them as they are to me. My “then” list is much longer than my “now” list but I know that won’t always be the case. In the meantime, I am all about adding to the list, so if you ever want to come help us, just give us a call!

Comments

TJ Wilson said…
oh, pick us! pick us!
What a lovely trip down memory lane! Joyce - do you have tears in your eyes? I nearly do, and I wasn't even there...
Anonymous said…
dont forget Mr Bowers flooding the cabin with soap suds, carp in the bed, stuffed up noses, and fireants in the shower head. elvis died when we were there and thurman munson did to.Dr Scholls sandals made kds calves look like steroid legs. and u can play atari on a 14 inch black and white tv
nikki said…
i've heard that the entire wilson family has no idea how to swim...seriously, it would be nothing short of dangerous to pick them. btw, have you seen jeff anderson water ski?
Krista Sanders said…
I love that the comments are MUCH more entertaining than the blog!!
TJ Wilson said…
uhmmm.... if only I were as clever as the owner of foxy roxy!
Anonymous said…
Yes, T.J., I truly do have tears in my eyes. The memories of those years in the "shack" are wonderful. The new place hasn't been half as much fun. It really seems kind of empty.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Ronnie will never forget his one and only time at the lake. We did not find out until sometime later that he actually cracked a rib while tubing. He dreaded hearing those words "Your turn, Ronnie." We have laughed at how he suffered instead of throwing in the towel. There was no skipping and everyone had to take his turn!
Paula

I also won't forget going to McDonald's for the NEW Menu item-
CHICKEN Nuggets.

Popular Posts